FTDI Module – USB to TTL (Switchable 3.3 or 5V) FT232RL
The FTDI USB to TTL serial converter module is a UART (universal asynchronous receiver-transmitter) board used for TTL serial communication. It is a breakout board for the FTDI FT232R chip with a USB interface, can use 3.3 or 5 V DC and has Tx/Rx and other breakout points.
- This FTDI board is based on FTDI original chip FT232RL.
- FT232R chips are one of the newer chips manufactured by FTDI (Future Technology Devices International).
- Apart from being a USB to serial UART, it has an integrated EEPROM and optional clock generator output.
- The chip also incorporates FTDI Chip-ID functionality (giving each chip a unique identifier for security) and USB termination resistors.
- Cloned boards (with a cloned chip) will likely exclude the unique ID functionality and does not include an EEPROM, meaning that signals cannot be inverted.
- Pins: 6 pin headers and 18 through-hole connectors. DTR, RX, TX, VCC, CTS, GND and PWR, TEN, SLEEP, CTS, 3.3V, 5V, RXL, TXL, GND x 2, TXD, DTR, RTS, VCC, RXD, R1, RSD, DCD (all marked)
- The internal clock (6MHz, 12MHz, 24MHz and 48MHz) can be brought out of the device and used to drive a microcontroller or external logic.
- The module has a mini-B USB port which is used to connect to an USB port of an interfaced device (e.g. a PC).
- On the other side, the FTDI USB to TTL serial converter module has breakout pins (Tx, Rx, Vc and GND) that is connected to a microcontroller’s corresponding pins.
- Communication takes place using TTL (transistor-transistor logic).
- It has a 3.3/5V DC jumper and will supply 500mA through its Vc pin.
- 1 X FTDI Module – USB to TTL (Switchable 3.3 or 5V)